Friday, August 15, 2008

Overworked



I'm having the worst work week in a loooong time. My "day job" is sending me such horrible contracts to work on, you have no idea.

Wednesday I was up until 2 AM and up at 6 to finish a rush job for my day job.

I was up until 2 AM last night (and up this morning at 5 AM!!) to work on a super technical/legal document on newfangled doors for a new client that we "wanted to wow" but who changed her mind after I'd done all this because she just realized that "hey, translation costs money" (and this _after_ giving us her approval for the damn project!). Of course none of this overtime is counted in my productivity time. My boss doesn't take into account the degree of complexity/technicality of a text to do his math (unlike other places).

And just when I thought I was home free, I get another crappy contract, one of the worst clients ever (online validation/localization). It takes forever to do, and I can't "charge" all of my whole work time (the client's estimates are ridiculously low, and we are trying to "wow" them too), which means my productivity goes down and I get scolded for this...

I told the coordinator that "screw this, I'm writing exactly how long it took me, and too bad if the client isn't happy. I'm through getting the short end of this crappy deal" (well, I was more polite, of course).

She replied basically "ignore the written instructions of the client, do _not_ proceed as they specifically told you to, and do only half the job, it will save time".

...

Ahhhh, taking pride in work well done.

No comments: