So you guys know how Facebook works, right? At the top of the page, your name appears, and you can enter a status, such as "Miss Step... is blogging".
You can see the updated status of friends and people you know in your Facebook newsfeed. It's a fast way to keep in touch.
Sometimes, though, you get doozies.
Late last night, I saw that the status of a colleague of my boyfriend (who added me as a Facebook friend after meeting me only once... I didn't want to be rude so I confirmed this "friend"... referred to as "Weirdo" from now on) said:
"Weirdo is... doing a tranquility binding for Miss Step!"
Exclamation mark his, btw.
Errr, WTF, mate?!
Now this guy also writes on his FB page that his stance on religion is that it "is a mop that should stay in the closet". So it's not like he's a well-meaning, tree-hugging Pagan trying to send good vibes my way.
What the hell was that about?!?
Even if he were a Pagan/New Ager, etc. it's wayyyy uncool to "bind" (force something on) someone. Free will, dude!
But what perplexed me the most was: why? And why me? We never speak! He doesn't know me. I don't even know what a "tranquility binding" is! LOL
So I commented a brief "Err, WTF?" on his page. He didn't reply.
Boyfriend got really pissed off at this though, and told him it was the rudest thing he'd ever uttered (and yeah, Weirdo is a truly socially inept person, known to freak out clients during client presentations, and "normal" people in social occasions). But still, talk about coming out of the left field!
Boyfriend apparently told him off by email when Weirdo wrote to him about it (with more bizarre stuff to say, apparently, Boyfriend is quite pissed off about this guy and the whole exchange, and wouldn't go into details with me), took him off his friend list, and so did I (it's not like I wanted Weirdo as a friend to begin with anyway).
It was just really odd, and completely random. And yes, rude. No matter what your background (religion, spirituality, or whatever the heck motivated him), you just don't impose your will on someone else without even asking them how they feel about whatever it is you want to push on them.
Oh, and about the weird guy in the picture on this post: you know, I'd trust this guy more that Weirdo. Picture Guy wears his oddness quite openly and is upfront about it, whereas Weirdo hides under a "normal/straight" exterior (belied only by his eyes, if you've got a "freak radar" on alert, as I do).
2 comments:
Wow! Cutting that nut job loose sounds like the only safe thing to do. I can't imagine wishing a binding on anyone, no matter what kind it was. Tranquility doesn't necessarily work for everyone and to feel the need to force it on someone is creepy. I'll settle for giving you a big hug and loads of positive vibes!
I'm just really perplexed. Why? Why me? And what the heck was he talking about, exactly?
Anyway, I didn't like him much when I met him briefly, my "freak radar" went flailing "Danger! Danger, Will Robinson!", and he was socially awkward (in a sort of pushy kind of way) even then (keep in mind that when I say "socially awkward" about someone, I mean big time, not just shyness or something). Frankly, I don't need that kind of person in my life, so this worked out for the best! lol
I'm just sorry my bf got really upset about the email exchange and all. This falls in the "don't sweat the small (albeit weird) stuff" category. :)
Post a Comment